Dear Members of Congress:
If you think that the targeting of the Tea Party by the Internal Revenue Service in denying their requests for tax exempt status was a sordid tale, have many of us got a story for you.
Many of us in social media have been carrying the torch of the conservative message in social media and fighting the battle in the trenches for free speech, limited government, lower taxes, and all of the various things you all claim to support every time you ask for our money and votes. It is a labor of love for us, and we do it out of a sense of pride in our nation, a sense of patriotism, a desire to maintain freedom’s light for our children. A few of us receive some scant donations to keep up our sites or blogs, but it really doesn’t come close to paying the bills. Our real reward is DOING something.
In return, we have been attacked, vilified, and harassed in ways few of you will understand. We are not insulated by the Beltway. We live in communities and have ties to jobs and local personal networks. We are vulnerable to campaigns of personal destruction in ways you cannot understand unless you listen to us.
We are being targeted. Recent revelations from the Snowden leaks show that there is a concerted plan to target and take down anyone
who has a presence in social media. Anyone. This targeting is not limited to acknowledged political leaders. This plan goes after rank and file patriots who are seen as a threat because they are influencing more than a handful of people at the grassroots level. This plan is laid out specifically in this link.
This plan is chilling in that it lays out a specific groundwork for alienating, ostracizing, and destroying the personal life of anyone who dares to speak out against the government. None of this is new to those of us who have lived it for the past four years. During that time, many of us have experienced:
- Loss of jobs or businesses
- Destruction of marriages through fabricated evidence
- SWAT teams sent to their homes on false pretenses to terrorize them
- False blogs and information posted to make employment or business impossible
- Faked screenshots of social media postings designed to inflame or humiliate
- Hacked accounts, including personal e-mails
- Repeated suspensions and banning from services run by publicly traded companies which operate virtual monopolies in social media
- Interruption of income from social media
- Interference with church or other social organizations
- Our children have been threatened with rape and death
- Our families have been harassed
- Telephone and e-mail harassment
Thus far, no one seems to want to pay attention to this concerted effort. Most of us have known this was a concerted effort and have been able to spot the players in social media. We have gone to the media providers, law enforcement, and even to you, as our elected representatives in the past. Nothing has been done to date.
You expect us to retweet or repost your messages in social media. We’ve done that for you, gladly. You expect us to help you raise money for your campaigns. We have also done that gladly. But now we are asking you to help us. Get to the bottom of the harassment and who is behind it. Hold the government employees and agencies involved accountable. Call before you the heads of the social media companies and question them as to their complicity in this operation.
You need us. We need you.
The Patriot Army of Social Media